Because all music classes and rehearsals at the nucleos take place in the afternoon when schools let out, this past week I spent my mornings at the conservatory in Barquisimeto. I am not new to a conservatory setting, but here are some new things I did that, a few years ago, would seem completely out of the question.
1. Decide to put together a recital in four days after not having played for about a month.
2. Allow and welcome people to walk in freely while I was practicing or rehearsing (which often turned into an impromptu performance), which led to
3. Never warming up (because the second I tried to do so, someone would walk in the door), which led to
4. Leaving the door open while practicing
5. Hanging out with composers
Read more on my
Sistema Fellow '13